Peace Corps is partly about starting a new life, and the process is extensive. You even get a new Tswana name here. Mine is Lesego Mokgatitswane...my host family gave me the first name, which means good luck or lucky. The surname is theirs...and means lizard, apparently. I think the name is funny, I don't dislike it, but it adds a bit to the sense of alienation from home that my host family addresses me as Lesego!
The landscape in this village/Botswana in general is pretty awesome. I'll try to post pictures at some point if I get a fast enough internet connection. It's very hilly and green, with really colorful sunrises and sunsets. There are some paved roads, and some red dirt roads. I heard somewhere that at independence in 1966 Botswana only had a few kilometers of paved roads...so it really has come pretty far in a relatively short time.
Peace Corps mandates 100 hours of language lessons for us during our 2-month Pre-Service-Training period, so we've had a fair amount of lessons! It's hard for me, mentally, to learn a new language, since I was hoping and expecting to be able to use my Spanish in Peace Corps. What does not kill me will only make me stronger I guess.
It's rainy here today...we're all huddled in the little office at the RIIC Center getting that prized internet time.
Hope everyone is great...
-S
hey there cousin its alex! sorry we haven't posted yet , my mom was having technical difficulties understanding how to but i figured it out in point 2 seconds:) i hope batswana is treating you well and that your learning new things! love you wiht all our hearts<3 rubin/van loons
ReplyDeleteWow.. What a journey you have taken on....I feel that through your writings I am reading a book. From the descriptions of sites to food- I give you credit being the finicky eater that I am:) You have taken on such a tremdous adventure.. Keep the posts coming..love carla emma alex and of course the mutt - ella
ReplyDeleteHey Sara! was gr8 to hear your voice when grandpa and I were in Indy. Had a nice visit w/everyone, and gave B & B lots of walks and attention...what great dogs! We are all enjoying your blog, and thinking of you daily. Sounds like a beautiful country, can't wait to see pics. Glad that you are able to skype and send blogs often. Keep well!
ReplyDeleteLove from all the O's in MA
Hi Lucky Lizard, Happy Easter. It rained here and Mom worked. Hope you get your cell back soon. Your blog is great. Dad.
ReplyDeletehappy belated easter all. thanks for your thoughts!! it's a beautiful sunny day here in botswana after a rather rainy weekend.
ReplyDelete