I left Indiana on the 31st of March, but it seems like it has been so much longer. On evening of the 31st, I finally got to Philadelphia after a rather fun delay (Delay reason: aircraft delayed). Our staging/orientation period in Philadelphia went well (Side note: not sure if it's a chain, but El Vez or La Vez, has the most incredible guacamole of your life in Philly). We had dinner there with about 10 of us from our group and overall it was awesome to finally meet everyone in my group. There are 39 of us now. We had meetings at our hotel there for a few days and then left at 2:30 in the morning to take a bus to NYC for our flight. Just before our airplane took off, we were told that one guy in our group decided not to go at the last minute. Could just have easily have been me, I think. The anticipation leading up to this big life change was just horrible.
About 15 hours later we landed in Johannesburg, South Africa. From there took a rather tiny plane to Gaborone, Botswana. Peace Corps put us up for a few days in a place called Big 5 Lodge, which was pretty swanky compared to our accommodations now.
We are now staying in homestays in a decent-sized village. When we got here, there was a 'matching ceremony' at a government building. Some local officials and the local kgosi (chief) attended. One of the officials talked about how he studied in Michigan and mentioned Gary and I-90. My homestay has a mom and a dad, a 23-year old girl, a 21-year-old boy (those two speak conversational Batswana English...to be explained later), a 14-year-old boy, an 11-year-old, boy, and a 4-year-old boy. I haven't met the dad and I've just met the mom briefly because she has been at the family cattle post for the last few days. Now that I've gotten used to it a little bit I enjoy living here. They have electricity- a tv, stereo, overhead lighting, a little stove and oven and a fridge- but no running water. Instead we fill up a little pail at a tap outside. In the mornings I get up really early to heat water to wash up and stuff.
Botswana is even more rural than I expected so far. It's a very serene and pretty country, from what I've seen. Driving down the main roads you see a lot of donkeys, cows, and chickens. The first time I've ever heard a rooster crow in person was here in Africa, which I think is funny. Now I get to get woken up by that pretty much every morning. At night, you can often hear the soft tink of cowbells nearby. And the night skies are beautiful- very clear and starry.
The food is kind of hard to describe. One seemingly common meal is a maize meal called poleche that kind of reminds me of mashed potatoes. It's served with a side of vegetables and sometimes a meat. So far in this village I've only had chicken, but at Big 5 Lodge I got to try kudu (thought I was eating beef) and a maopane worm.
During the days we have Setswana lessons (the other main language here besides English) and PC meetings about safety, HIV/AIDS, etc. On Monday we get to head into the capital for immigration paperwork....all for now!
-S
Hey! Your mama just figured out how to enjoy your blog (altho having trouble adding my comment) but I am thinking of you and ke itumetse to your host family and sala sentle - Mme
ReplyDeleteHey! Holly. thanks for sharing your PC experiences. Love your blogs and you!
ReplyDeleteHey Sara, Your trip sounds interesting so far. Looking forward to hearing more about the local culture and am grateful they are spending real time with training with you and the others. Jax is home with strep today and it made me wonder about the medical care available to you and the locals. Jo Ann
ReplyDeleteApril 17, 2011
ReplyDeleteHey Sara,
Hope you're having fun over in Botswana and are healthy. Grampa, along with the rest of the family, enjoyed your post today at the family brunch.
Grampa says he hopes you have enough water and that you are bathing. Haha.
We're having Easter at Aunt Mary and Uncle Bob's house next Sunday. Do you have any plans or will it just be a regular day for you there? What are their customs concerning Easter?
Ben and Dad are off for the whole of April vacation down in Okee Finokee Swamp, Georgia for a camping trip. Ben hopes to see snakes and catch them. Ally Rock brought a Ball Python, African Pixie Toad, and Bearded Dragon over to the house for Ben to take care of until she finds a place for them to live.
Take care of yourself and God bless. Give our regards to your host family. Also remeber to send us your address so we can send you some packages.
Love from all,
Grampa, Gramma, and Rachael
Hey all thanks for commenting! Don't know if there is a way to respond individually to each comment but I guess I'll just do it this way. Jo Ann, hope Jax starts feeling better. We have a small medical staff here and a PCMO (Peace Corps Medical Officer) in charge of all the people in our group.So far med care seems pretty good! They will do a mid-service check up on us I think. And Rachael, Gramma, and Grampa, so good to hear from ya. I'm not sure if I have any Easter plans...I bet it will be big here and there are a lot of people who go to church (sometimes like all-day services) on Sundays but so far my host family hasn't gone to church so I'm not sure! Miss you guys! I'm not going to worry about giving everyone my address yet because it will change in about a month and a half and mail takes a while to get here I think. But once I have my permanent address I will def let everyone know. Love you!
ReplyDeleteSara
ReplyDeleteWe just read your reply, it sounds like you are in a very exciting time in your new exsperience. If my spelling is a pain remember I am in a time in my life that I can hardly remember my name. Do take care, we love you. Grandma, Gramps and Rachael